Blog Search

Blog Archive


There are currently no blog comments.

How to Get the Best Rates on Flood Insurance

Whether you are a homeowner or a business owner, it is important to be aware of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This program offers flood insurance to homeowners in NFIP-participating communities. The program is operated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). You can purchase this type of insurance from an insurer contracted with FEMA. This insurance will pay to repair or replace your property and belongings.

The program was established in 1968 and has expanded over the years. It is offered to homeowners in high, moderate, and low risk areas. You can find out if your community is part of the NFIP by visiting NFIP Direct or calling. You can also check out the flood maps for your area. Depending on the type of insurance you purchase, you may be able to receive a discount on your premiums. Get full details about how to get the best rates on flood insurance here.

You can purchase a Preferred Risk Policy (PRP) from NFIP for lower premiums than a Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP). The PRP provides the same level of coverage as a SFIP, but at a lower cost. It is possible to find a PRP for as little as $119 per year for $20,000 of coverage.

The NFIP also offers a Community Rating System that assesses how your community is doing in floodplain management. More than a thousand communities qualify for cheaper flood insurance based on this system. Aside from the obvious, you can also look into setting aside money in a Catastrophe Savings Account to help you in the event of a major flood. Some states allow residents to set aside emergency funds in a Catastrophe Savings account, which is exempt from state and federal income taxes.

You can also buy flood insurance for your business. The NFIP has a Mitigation Division that oversees the mapping components of the program. This division also helps communities implement floodplain management ordinances.

It is important to note that most flood insurance policies require a 30-day waiting period before coverage becomes effective. This means that if you have a flood in your home, you may not receive a payment until you have had the chance to inspect the damage. You may also want to consider purchasing a fireproof safe to protect your possessions.

Another way to lower your insurance premiums is to obtain an Elevation Certificate. This certificate will tell you the elevation of your home in relation to the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map. A certified elevation certificate can be obtained from a land surveyor or engineer. This source will help you get full information about the flood insurance program.

The flood insurance program can protect you from the loss of your most important financial assets. A standard flood insurance policy will cover $250,000 of damage for a single-family home. If you are renting, you can purchase up to $100,000 of coverage for your belongings. However, you will not receive a payout for losses caused by loss of business use, loss of living expenses, or for items that are not covered by flood insurance.

The best part about buying flood insurance is that you do not have to worry about getting a loan to pay for the damage. You can also receive help from the federal government through low-interest loans or Catastrophe Savings Accounts.

This link: will open up your minds even more on this topic.


Go Back